A warming French style beef casserole with red wine.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hr 50 mins
900g (2lb) lean stewing steak, cubed
50g (2oz) flour
2 tbs oil
50g (2oz) butter
12 button onions
100g (4oz) unsmoked streaky bacon, diced
2 tbs brandy (optional)
300ml (½ pint) red wine
300ml (½ pint) beef stock
¼ tsp Schwartz Garlic Granules
½ tsp Schwartz Thyme
Pinch Schwartz Ground Black Pepper
1 Schwartz Bay Leaves
1 Schwartz Bouquet Garni
100g (4oz) button mushrooms
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C, 350˚F, Gas Mark 4
2. Coat the steak with 25g (1oz) of the flour. Heat the oil with 1oz (25g) butter in a frying pan. Add the onions and bacon and fry over a brisk heat until browned. Remove from the pan and place in a casserole dish. Add the meat to the pan in batches and fry until browned on all sides. Then transfer to the casserole.
3. If using brandy, pour it into the casserole and set alight. When the flame dies pour over the wine and stock. Stir in the Garlic Granules, Thyme, Pepper, Bay Leaf and Bouquet Garni. Cover the casserole, place it in the oven and cook for 1¼ hours or until the meat is tender. Add the mushrooms and mix the remaining flour and butter to make a paste. Add it in small pieces to the casserole stirring constantly. Leave to cook for another 20 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Discard the Bay Leaf and Bouquet Garni before serving.
What resolution are you making this year?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- To stop spending money so frivolously
- To learn how to cook more meals
- To spend more time with my family
- To get a new career
- To socialise with my friends more
- To get fit and healthy